Friday, February 11, 2011

Who needs a burning permit?


I don’t worry about burning permits, I don’t have a garbage removal schedule and I certainly don’t worry about if it’s paper or plastic for recycling…

In my back yard, out near the back of my property there’s a black spot on the ground where I burn my trash and leaves (you wouldn’t believe how many leaves fall of the trees daily…and to think, up North it’s only for a season we worry about falling leaves…here…it’s continual!  haha)  However, don’t worry…I don’t burn my plastic bottles.  Those I leave outside my front gate.  Why do I litter my front yard with plastic bottles?  There are some kids that come by once in a while…I’ve only seen them a few times, but they carry big plastic sacks (like a big grain bag), and they walk the streets looking for plastic bottles.  I’m not sure of the entire process, but they must turn the bottles in somewhere for some sort of redemption.  I was walking to school one day carrying an empty half liter water bottle that I was going to fill when I got to my classroom…but this little girl with her big plastic bag came running up to me to ask me for my bottle.  It was like I had a piece of gold…how could I not give it to her, especially knowing I had an extra cup at school.

Anyway…I had quite the pile of leaves that had built up in my backyard and yesterday I decided to get rid of them all.  It took a while because, well, quite frankly I was afraid I was going to burn down the neighborhood (good thing most houses are cinder block and with tin roofs!) and I may not have burnt anything other than trash and leaves but I wouldn’t doubt if I asphyxiated a few of my neighbors with the amounts of smoke leaving my yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment